7 Tips After Weight Loss Surgery
Its important that you not think of bariatric surgery as a diet, BUT rather as a new way of life for you and your family. Here are 7 quick tips after that will help you make changes to your lifestyle after weight loss surgery.
- Portion Control Make sure not to over indulge and eat very small portions throughout the day. Initially 4-5 oz and then progress to a few bite sizes and then small meal portions 4-6 times a day. Each meal size should be about ½ cup to 1 cup of food only. Never over eat and always stop before you are full.
- Vitamin Supplements Due to your new smaller or bypassed stomach, your body will not absorb enough nutrients from food so its very important to take daily vitamins and calcium supplements.
- Hydration Make water your new best friend! Stay hydrated by drinking sips at a time. Drink water 30-minutes before or after your meal and never during your meal as this can cause stomach pain. Drink about 6 to 8 cups (48 to 64 ounces or 1.4 to 1.9 liters) of fluids a day to prevent dehydration.
- Eat Slow Chew your food thoroughly to puree consistency before swallowing. The new opening from the stomach into intestine is very small, and larger pieces of food can block this new opening. If there is a blockage, it will prevent food from exiting the stomach and can cause vomiting, nausea and abdominal pain.
- New Food Plan ahead what you want to eat so you are mentally prepared. The ability to tolerate foods varies from person to person, thus try one new food at a time. If a food causes discomfort, don't eat it.
- Protein Eating high-protein food can help heal your wounds, regrow muscle and skin, and prevent hair loss. High-protein and low-fat foods are smart choices. Try adding lean cuts of beef, chicken, pork, fish or beans to your diet. Low-fat cheese, cottage cheese and yogurts also are great sources of protein.
- Avoid Certain Foods Avoid fried food and sugary snacks.
Are you ready to start your weight loss journey?
Jet Medical Tourism® is here to help you. Since 2017, we have helped patients from all around the world achieve their weight loss goals successfully. Apply Now or get in touch with us today by calling (855) 506-6188 or the contact form.