Gastric Sleeve Cost in Mexico: VSG Tijuana Mexico Cost
Gastric Sleeve Cost in Mexico is significantly lower than in other countries, and medical tourists from around the world can save up to 70 percent on the cost of gastric sleeve, reduce wait times, and get access to top-quality medical care, all while taking the first steps on the path to a longer, happier, and healthier life.
Contact Jet Medical Tourism® today.
The gastric sleeve surgery is designed to help people with obesity to lose weight quickly and effectively. Unfortunately, the cost of having gastric sleeve is often prohibitive in places like Canada and the United States. And, that means people go without a potentially lifesaving and life-altering surgery.
One option that’s growing in popularity, however, is medical tourism in Mexico. This makes the gastric sleeve and other bariatric surgeries more affordable for the thousands of U.S. and Canadian patients.
- What is the average cost of Gastric Sleeve in Mexico? The average cost of gastric sleeve surgery in Mexico is $5,750 (prices range from $3,500 to $8,000).
- What is the cost of gastric sleeve in United States? The average cost of gastric sleeve surgery in the United States is $19,750 (prices range from $12,000 to $27,500).
- What is the cost of gastric sleeve in Canada? The average cost of gastric sleeve surgery in Canada is $18,500 (prices range from $16,000 to $18,000).
This is similar to other bariatric surgeries and medical procedures in Mexico, where the cost of accessing care is significantly lower than in other countries.
On average, you will save 60 to 80 percent on the cost of gastric sleeve in Mexico, and between 50 and 75 percent on other medical services, including plastic surgery in Mexico, dermatology, heart surgery, orthopedic surgery, and even fertility treatments.
What is gastric sleeve cost in Mexico?
The gastric sleeve cost in Mexico averages $5,750, but this can range as high as $8,000 depending on the Mexico surgeon, clinic, hospital location, and services.
By comparison, the cost of gastric sleeve surgery without insurance in the United States or Canada averages $19,750, which is a cost savings of between $11,000 and $16,000, or an average of $14,000.
In fact, gastric sleeve is cheaper in Mexico than most other countries, including other medical tourism destinations. Here is a table comparing the cost of gastric sleeve surgery without insurance or "self-pay" in different medical tourism destinations:
|Destination||Low price||High price||Average price|
Related: Weight loss surgery cost in Mexico: A comprehensive guide
Understand Low Cost Gastric Sleeve in Mexico
People who are considering gastric sleeve surgery in Mexico sometimes wonder if the lower cost is because of a lower standard of care, but this isn't the case in Mexico.
Not only are most of the doctors, dentists, nurses, and other medical practitioners in Mexico highly trained, but many have also studied abroad, including in places like the U.S. and Europe, and most speak English fluently.
Furthermore, there are also bariatric surgeons in Mexico who are board-certified, meaning they meet rigorous requirements regarding training, education, and patient care standards.
To understand the lower cost of medical care in Mexico, it can help to look at some other factors:
- Drugs and medication are cheaper, including anesthetics, and this gets passed on to patients
- Rent and maintenance are cheaper, and that means lower costs for the hospitals
- Education costs less, so doctors and medical professionals come out of school with less debt
- Salaries and wage are about 20 percent lower than in the U.S., meaning hospital overhead is lower
- Medical professionals in Mexico don’t have to pay the same exorbitant malpractice insurance and legal fees as in other countries
- Equipment costs are lower
- The fluctuating exchange rate means sometimes your dollars can go even further in Mexico
Related: Weight loss surgery for low income
Each bariatric surgery is different, however, and there are many factors that can influence the cost of gastric sleeve in Mexico. Among the top factors that impact the price include:
- The hospital or clinic infrastructure, including whether it has modern facilities and top-of-the-line equipment and materials.
- Next is the education and experience of the surgeons and medical staff involved in the procedure, and more highly trained practitioners will result in somewhat higher costs.
- Finally, another factor that can influence the cost is the pre- and postoperative care patients receive because some clinics offer more evaluations, tests, and follow-up care than others.
Even though these factors can result in a slightly higher cost for gastric sleeve surgery, it’s important to understand that these additional costs result in better care, better procedures, better safety, and better chances for long-term success.
Jet Medical Tourism's cost of gastric sleeve in Mexico
The services that are covered in the cost of your gastric sleeve surgery will depend on the clinic or package you choose. For instance, if you negotiate the surgery yourself with a hospital or surgeon, then the fee may only cover the cost of the surgery itself.
On the other hand, if you choose to work with Jet Medical Tourism® who offers packages for weight loss surgery in Mexico, then there will be more services and features included in the cost of your gastric sleeve in Mexico.
Mexico gastric sleeve surgery package include:
- Surgeons fee
- Anesthesiologist fee
- 2 night hospital
- 1 night luxury hotel
- Pre operative medical assessments that includes X-rays, blood work, and an electrocardiogram
- Post operative x-ray and leak test
- Standard medication while in Mexico
- Ground transportation to and from San Diego airport
- Medical staff onsite
If you do choose to schedule your gastric sleeve surgery in Mexico without the help of Jet Medical Tourism®, be sure to budget for additional costs to cover things like pre- and post-op tests, anesthesiologist and medication fees, hotels, follow-ups with a nutritionist, and other costs associated with the gastric sleeve.
Lower costs for gastric sleeve without sacrificing quality
Mexico has thousands of hospitals and clinics that prospective medical tourists can choose from, and many of these are modern facilities with cutting-edge technology and equipment, trained and experienced staff, high patient safety and care standards, a full complement of medical treatments and procedures, and exceptional treatment options.
However, many patients who are considering gastric sleeve surgery in Mexico will do a great deal of research before committing to a clinic and surgeon, and here are some tips on what to look for:
- Reputable hospital or surgery clinic
- Surgeons that are board-certified
- Aftercare services for patients
- Medical professionals with high levels of training and experience
- Stellar patient safety records
- Staff and personnel who take the time to speak with patients one-on-one
There are two ways you can facilitate this research, and the first is to create a short list of hospitals or clinics, and then to arrange video calls with the surgeons who would be performing your procedure.
Related: Gastric sleeve before and after stories
An even easier option is to partner with Jet Medical Tourism® that has already done all this research, compiled lists of reputable hospitals, and thoroughly vetted medical professionals in the country to identify some of the best bariatric surgeons in Mexico to make your decision easier.
Best locations in Mexico for low cost gastric sleeve surgery
Four main areas in Mexico are favorites among Canadian, American, and European medical tourists, and they are Tijuana, Guadalajara, Cancun, and Monterrey. Each of these cities has multiple hospitals or clinics, surgeons, and facilities available for gastric sleeve surgery, and here's some more information about them:
Tijuana: Tijuana is located directly across the border from San Diego and is a world-class medical tourism destination.
You may ask yourself, why get weight loss surgery in Tijuana, Mexico? You can drive to Tijuana from the San Diego Airport in about 25 minutes, but the city also has its own airport.
This beautiful place is also a vacation hotspot, and that’s thanks to the city’s many beaches, the local arts and culture, the geography, architecture and history, the nightlife, and even the great restaurants and food scene.
Several reputable hospitals and clinics in Tijuana for your gastric sleeve surgery, include:
Related: Is Tijuana safe? Travel for tourists
Guadalajara: Guadalajara is a large city in the central and western part of Mexico, about a six-hour drive northwest of Mexico City.
The city is known for its beautiful architecture and churches, museums, theaters, rich culture, and as the birthplace of tequila and mariachi music. There's also an international airport to make travel easy. Guadalajara has several full-service hospitals that offer gastric sleeve surgery, including:
- Hospital Hispano
- Hospital CIMA Hermosillo
- Hospital Clinic del Pilar
- Hospital Country 200
- Hospital Versalles
- Jardines Hospital
- San Javier Hospital
Cancun: Cancun is one of Mexico’s top tourist destinations, and this is largely thanks to the city’s breathtaking beaches on the Caribbean Sea, Mayan ruins, historical and archaeological significance, and more.
Because it’s such a tourist draw, travel to and from Cancun is simple thanks to the international airport. There are three recommended weight loss surgery hospitals in Cancun for gastric sleeve, and they are:
- Amerimed Hospital
- Clinica Victoria Hospital
- Galenia Hospital
Monterrey: Monterrey is located in northeastern Mexico, about three hours from Laredo, Texas. The city has its own international airport, but it’s also easily accessible from San Antonio, Texas.
Monterrey is known for its mountainous landscape and green spaces, giant Public Square, museums and culture, and natural wonders. The city boasts hospitals that are accredited by the Joint Commission International and several leading-edge facilities that specialize in bariatric surgery, including:
- San Jose Tec de Monterrey
- Christus Muguerza Sur Hospital
- Clinica Vitro Hospital
Plan your gastric sleeve trip to Mexico
No matter where in Mexico you choose for your gastric sleeve surgery, you're guaranteed to be delighted by a beautiful and vibrant city.
- Many people choose to include a vacation in with their medical trip, because not only does this give you more time to relax and explore after your surgery, but it also makes your trip easier to explain to friends, family, and employers if you don’t feel comfortable divulging the full medical details of your time away.
- But planning for a vacation takes time and organization, especially when you're going to be undergoing surgery at the same time. Planning involves a number of things, including having your paperwork in order, packing all the right things, and following your doctor’s or surgeon’s regimen in the days and weeks leading up to surgery.
Related: A comprehensive guide to leisure tourism in Tijuana, Mexico while getting weight loss surgery
This could include things like a special diet, an exercise routine, certain medications or supplements, and more. Your doctor may also recommend certain vaccines—likely for typhoid and hepatitis A—before you go, so be sure to schedule an appointment to discuss this with your family doctor well in advance of your trip.
- In terms of paperwork, make sure you have a passport that will be valid for the duration of your trip plus an extra six months.
- Recovery time from bariatric surgery can take up to four weeks, but it’s a good idea to make sure your passport will still be valid long after that, just in case.
Related: What is the recovery time for gastric sleeve surgery?
You should also plan to arrive in Mexico a few days before surgery, to give yourself time to settle in, relax, and get plenty of rest prior to the procedure.
What to pack for gastric sleeve surgery in Mexico?
Packing for a vacation can be tough, especially when you're visiting a country with a different climate, and even more so when you're going for medical reasons as well. Here's a list of some items you don’t want to forget:
- Loose and comfortable clothes
- Extra undergarments
- Sandals and walking shoes
- Cool clothes for warm weather
- Warmer layers for nighttime
- Headphones and music
- Earplugs for the plane and hospital
- Compression socks for the plane
- Warm socks or slippers
- Cell phone and charger
- Books or e-reader
- Gas-X Thin Strips
Related: What to pack for your gastric sleeve surgery in Mexico
Understanding how gastric sleeve works
Gastric sleeve is a type of bariatric surgery, which means it surgically alters the size and shape of the stomach to limit a patient’s food intake. The gastric sleeve procedure has been widely covered by major insurance companies in the U.S. since 2010, and it has been gaining traction ever since as one of the most successful and popular forms of bariatric surgery.
- During the procedure, 60 to 80 percent of the stomach is removed, including a large portion of the stomach that’s responsible for producing ghrelin, the hormone that controls appetite and triggers feelings of hunger.
- Once that portion of the stomach is removed, the remaining portion is reshaped into a small pouch, and this restricts the amount of food you can consume.
- This procedure is safe and highly effective, with patients losing between 50 and 80 percent of their excess body weight within a year of surgery.
Related: How does gastric sleeve work
Gastric sleeve has multiple health benefits
Obesity has been linked to a number of health problems, and losing excess weight can help people feel better, look better, and live longer.
- Gastric sleeve in Mexico is a highly effective solution for long-term weight loss because it reduces feelings of hunger and restricts food intake, leading to fast weight loss that can be maintained with a healthy diet and lifestyle.
- Patients who undergo gastric sleeve surgery typically see a resolution or great improvement with certain comorbid medical conditions, including high blood pressure, type-2 diabetes, high cholesterol, and obstructive sleep apnea.
- However, there are also a number of other health issues related to obesity, including high blood sugar, certain cancers, stroke, osteoarthritis, heart disease and respiratory problems.
Related: Benefits of gastric sleeve surgery
Because obesity has such a wide range of serious comorbidities, gastric sleeve is often considered a potentially lifesaving medical operation, as losing excess weight will lead to overall better health. However, medical benefits aren't the only advantage of weight loss, and people who undergo gastric sleeve also find movement easier, they feel better about themselves and life in general, they have higher self-esteem and more self-confidence, and they typically live longer.
Will insurance cover the cost of gastric sleeve?
In places like Canada and the United States, gastric sleeve surgery is widely covered by insurance. However, there are caveats. For one thing, if you want insurance to cover the procedure in Canada, then you can expect an average wait time of at least five years.
- In the US, insurance coverage doesn’t help the 44 million Americans who don’t have health insurance or the 38 million more who are underinsured. Moreover, some insurance companies see bariatric surgery as a cosmetic procedure rather than a curative or preventative one, and that means gastric sleeve won’t be covered.
- However, even if you do have insurance in your home country that covers bariatric surgery, it’s important to note that your insurance probably won’t cover the cost of medical procedures that are performed abroad if you opt to have the surgery in Mexico.
- The good news, however, is that there are options available to help patients fund their surgeries.
Related: How to pay for bariatric surgery without insurance
Health benefits of gastric sleeve surgery
There's a well-known link between obesity and a number of health problems, including stroke, diabetes, heart disease, cancer, high blood pressure, respiratory problems, and more. Along with the many ways these diseases can negatively affect your quality of life, many of them can also be life-threatening.
For some people, weight loss surgery is an ideal solution that can help you lose weight, get your eating under control, and drastically decrease the chances of premature death from related diseases.
Weight loss surgery can also reduce pain from diseases that are exacerbated by extra weight, such as arthritis, osteoarthritis, gout, migraines, and back and knee pain.
- Beyond the medical benefits and the possibility of increased longevity, weight loss surgery also has a great impact on your quality of life, through improved self-esteem, decreased self-consciousness, and improved self-image.
- In other words, the benefits of weight loss surgery can include feeling better, looking better, living longer, and feeling more comfortable in your own body, which is something everybody should get to experience.
Related: Gastric sleeve before and after pictures: Best photos
Payment options to cover gastric sleeve cost Mexico
One of the most common questions patients have when considering medical tourism is how to pay for gastric sleeve in Mexico without insurance. Even if you have health insurance for bariatric surgery, it likely won’t cover an out-of-country procedure.
- Fortunately, there are many options available to finance weight loss surgery in Mexico. Many clinics in Mexico and third-party medical tourism companies offer a range of financing options that patients can apply for, and this can make potentially life saving surgery accessible to people struggling with obesity.
- Some people will also use credit cards to pay for the surgery or apply for a special medical credit card just for this purpose.
- There are also medical financing options available, including personal loans, peer-to-peer loans, and home equity loans. If you have retirement savings, you can even borrow from your plan to finance the surgery or borrow money from family and friends to raise the funds.
Gastric sleeve is a life-altering surgery that can help you lose up to 70 percent of your excess body weight, and this means you'll feel and look better within a year of the surgery. There are also many medical advantages of weight loss from gastric sleeve, and you'll be rewarded with a happier and healthier life.
- However, bariatric surgery can cost as much as $20,000 in some countries, and this means it’s not an option for people who really need it.
- But the cost of gastric sleeve in Mexico is significantly lower, and you can get top-notch medical care and bariatric surgery for as little as $4,000 in Mexico.
Even when you factor in additional travel costs, it’s still well worth the trip to Mexico for gastric sleeve surgery. There are many locations and hospitals to choose from, and if you don’t have time to do your own research, consider working with Jet Medical Tourism® that can provide information, answer questions, facilitate the entire process, and help you book your surgery and your journey to a new you.
Are you ready to start your weight loss journey?
Jet Medical Tourism® is here to help you. Since 2017, we have helped patients from all around the world achieve their weight loss goals successfully. Apply Now or get in touch with us today by calling (855) 506-6188 or the contact form.