Gastric Sleeve Vitamins and Supplements
Gastric sleeve vitamins and supplements can provide your body the necessary nutrients after laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy. Gastric sleeve surgery is a life-changing procedure that will help you achieve a healthier and fitter lifestyle, and a large part of that is adopting a nutritious diet that promotes weight loss and overall well-being.
However, because gastric sleeve drastically reduces the size of the stomach and limits food intake, there is a risk of nutritional deficiencies following the procedure. As a result, most bariatric surgeons recommend gastric sleeve vitamins and supplements after the surgery.
The Need for Post-Op Gastric Sleeve Vitamins and Supplements
During gastric sleeve surgery, up to 90 percent of the stomach is removed, and the remaining portion is structured into a vertical sleeve that looks similar to a banana. The resulting weight loss, therefore, is thanks to restricted food intake but also decreased hunger, and that's because a significant portion of the stomach responsible for producing ghrelin (the so-called hunger hormone) is also removed.
Nutritional deficiencies do occur after gastric sleeve surgery, but it’s most often because the patient isn't consuming enough food to obtain the necessary nutrients.
Although deficiencies aren't as common with gastric sleeve compared to other bariatric surgeries, the risk still exists, which is why many post-op gastric sleeve patients take vitamins and nutritional supplements, as recommended by a doctor or dietician.
Diet and Supplementation Following Gastric Sleeve Surgery
Nutritional deficiencies can start to develop in the weeks following gastric sleeve surgery because your diet will consist of liquids only. In the first three days after the procedure, you'll just be drinking clear fluids, such as water, green tea, and broth.
- After the initial three days, you can also incorporate protein shakes into your diet, and that's what you'll be eating until about day 10. Once the ten days have elapsed, you can start introducing soft foods back into your diet, such as canned meats, pureed vegetables, yogurt, and scrambled eggs.
- Because your stomach is so much smaller, you'll eat small portions throughout the day, and you won't feel hunger like you're used to, and sometimes this means you won’t get enough of specific nutrients.
Some of the typical vitamins and supplements people take after gastric sleeve include:
- Vitamin B12
- Folic acid
- Bariatric vitamins that contain vitamins A, E, and D
What Can Happen if You're Not Taking Vitamins After Gastric Sleeve
Because of the possibility of nutritional deficiencies, supplementation is an essential part of the post-surgery gastric sleeve diet. Many problems can arise if you don't get enough of the right nutrients, such as:
- Weak bones and teeth from a lack of calcium
- Anemia from a deficiency of iron
- Neurological problems from a lack of B12
- Megaloblastic anemia from a lack of B12 and folic acid
- Eye problems, soft bones, and muscle weakness from a lack of vitamins A, D, and E
The choice to get gastric sleeve surgery is a big one, and a great deal of thought must go into it, including your dedication to a healthy diet and lifestyle following the procedure.
Although it’s not as common with gastric sleeve, nutritional deficiencies are still possible after this bariatric surgery, and that's why supplements are recommended.
With the right supplementation and nutrients, your body will be able to function optimally, and you'll be able to lead a full, happy, and healthy life.
Are you ready to start your weight loss journey?
Jet Medical Tourism® is here to help you. Since 2017, we have helped patients from all around the world achieve their weight loss goals successfully. Apply Now or get in touch with us today by calling (855) 506-6188 or the contact form.