Gastric Sleeve Weight Loss Chart, Timeline
Gastric sleeve weight loss surgery in Mexico is a scientifically proven and highly effective way to shed excess pounds and treat obesity. Weight loss after gastric sleeve can help you restore your health and fitness, while dramatically improving your aesthetic appearance and personality at the same time. Thousands of patients suffering from obesity are visiting Mexico every year for gastric sleeve weight loss surgery to achieve their desired goals.
During your pre-op consultation with your bariatric surgeon in Mexico, you should discuss average weight loss per week after gastric sleeve and how much excess weight you can expect to lose at the end of six months and one year. In most cases, the average weight loss after gastric sleeve is about 65 to 70% of the excess weight within the first year. If you remain committed to your long term diet and exercise, gastric sleeve can help you get rid of all your excess weight permanently.
Your life span is likely to get enhanced following gastric sleeve weight loss because the surgery will help mitigate the symptoms of chronic obesity-related conditions such as diabetes, hypertension, and heart disease. You will have more control over your own life, wear the clothes of your choice, and have a more confident personality at a social and professional level.
Contact Jet Medical Tourism® today!
Expected weight loss after gastric sleeve
Weight loss after gastric sleeve will occur in gradual phases so that your body can safely cope with the metabolic changes that take place following the surgery. To begin with, you should be a good candidate for gastric sleeve weight loss surgery in Mexico and have a commitment to diligently follow your surgeon’s post-operative dietary and exercise guidelines. The procedure will reduce the size of your stomach, so you will naturally feel less hungry and will find it easier to control your diet.
Easy to curb appetite
Your expected weight loss after gastric sleeve surgery will not alter your digestive system or internal physiology. However, it will reduce the production of ghrelin hunger hormone to enable you to curb your appetite. As you continue to move towards your path of reduced food intake and reduced cravings, you can achieve your ideal body weight in about two years or less. Even 4 years after gastric sleeve, you can maintain a healthy body weight with a disciplined lifestyle.
Little to no post-op risk
Weight loss after gastric sleeve will not pose any significant risk of post-operative medical issues such as vitamin deficiency, anemia, or ulcers, as long as you are following your surgeon’s directions regarding your daily nutrition. Gastric sleeve weight loss by month will be more dramatic in the first 6 to 18 months. Your goal should be to improve it or maintain it continually by choosing a healthy and balanced lifestyle. It will not involve frequent visits to the doctor, and you can manage it on your own.
Gastric sleeve weight loss chart
At the time of your initial consultation, you should request the surgeon or their staff to provide you a detailed gastric sleeve weight loss chart. This will give you a fair idea of the average weight loss by month that you can expect to achieve following your VSG surgery in Mexico. If you have questions about the estimated weight loss plan, feel free to clear all your doubts and concerns during the consultation.
Each patient is unique
Your surgeon will let you know clearly the typical weight loss after gastric sleeve that patients may achieve. However, they will explain to you that each patient is unique and the results are likely to vary in each case. Your bariatric surgeon will estimate your expected weight loss based on your BMI, your pre-existing medical conditions, if any, and other aspects of your medical history and lifestyle choices such as smoking or drinking. Based on all these necessary information, the surgeon will suggest a gastric sleeve weight loss chart to set the expectations.
Potential health benefits
Your gastric sleeve weight loss chart will inform you about the estimated progress you can make in the weeks, months and years following your surgery in terms of shedding extra pounds. However, the gastric sleeve weight loss chart only tells half the picture. Apart from weight loss benefits, gastric sleeve surgery in Mexico can send your diabetes into remission, normalize your cholesterol levels, relieve you from chronic joint pains, eliminate sleep apnea, and give a boost to your self-esteem.
Gastric sleeve weight loss timeline
Understanding the gastric sleeve weight loss timeline is important so that you can have realistic expectations from the procedure, and make an informed decision at the outset. Weight loss after gastric sleeve surgery in Mexico can be an average of two to three pounds every week (about 10 to 12 pounds a month), resulting in a total average loss of excess weight of up to 70 percent at the end of the year.
Resolution of co-morbidities in 1 to 2 years
Any co-morbidities (underlying obesity-related health problems) will considerably resolve within one to two years after the surgery. As long as you remain focused on following your prescribed diet and exercise regimen after the gastric sleeve procedure, you can expect long term improvements. You will not only achieve the desired body weight and appearance, but also notice sustainable reduction in your risk of heart disease, stroke, arthritis, and other conditions.
Expected weight loss percentage after gastric sleeve
Here is the estimated gastric sleeve weight loss timeline which will give you the big picture. Remember, however, that individual results can vary and these only average figures.
- At 3 months: 25% to 35% excess weight loss
- At 6 months: 45% to 55% excess weight loss
- At 12 months: 65% to 70% excess weight loss
- At 18 months: 70% to 75% excess weight loss
Related: Is a gastric sleeve worth it?
Gastric sleeve weight loss timeline calculator
Gastric sleeve weight loss timeline calculator is a reliable tool to determine your estimated weight loss following your sleeve gastrectomy. To use this calculator, you can follow these simple steps:
Step # 1: Determine Your Ideal Body Weight
- According to the CDC, your ideal BMI is anywhere between 18.5 and 24.9.
- BMI = kg/m2
- If your ideal BMI = 25, and your height = 1.8m, then;
- Your ideal weight = 25 x 1.8 x 1.8 = 80 kg (approx)
Step # 2: Determine Your Actual Current Body Weight
- Let us assume your pre-surgery body weight = 120 kg
Step # 3: Determine Your Excess Body Weight
- Excess Weight = Current Weight – Ideal Weight
- In this example, your excess weight = 120 – 80 = 40 kg
Step # 4: Determine Your Expected Weight Loss after Gastric Sleeve
- At 1 month: 15% of excess weight = 6 kg weight loss
- At 3 months: 25% of excess weight = 10 kg weight loss
- At 6 months: 50% of excess weight = 20 kg weight loss
- At 12 months: 70% of excess weight = 28 kg weight loss
Therefore, according to this gastric sleeve weight loss timeline calculator, your body weight at one year after your VSG surgery would be:
120 kg – 28 kg = 92 kg
Average monthly weight loss after gastric sleeve
Your average monthly weight loss after gastric sleeve surgery in Mexico should be in the range of 5% to 6% per month for the first year.
- For example, if you had 100 pounds excess weight prior to your surgery, you may expect to lose 5 to 6 pounds of this excess weight each month for the year. This way, by the end of the year, you may have lost a total of 60 to 70 pounds of your excess weight.
- If you look at the actual gastric sleeve weight loss timeline figures of past patients, you may note that many of the patients will continue to lose excess weight beyond the first year.
- Some of them would achieve their ideal body weight at about 18 to 24 months after their gastric sleeve surgery in Mexico.
- Discuss the average monthly weight loss after sleeve surgery with your bariatric surgeon and set realistic monthly milestones and expectations based on your unique conditions.
Average weight loss per week after gastric sleeve
- As long as you follow the post-surgical recommended dietary and fitness instructions from your surgeon, you can lose about 1 to 1.5 pounds of excess weight per week on average in the first year.
Gastric sleeve results after 1 month
- In the first month after your gastric sleeve surgery, the weight loss is usually most substantial and rapid.
- This happens because in the days leading to your surgery as well as about two weeks following your surgery, you will primarily consume a liquid diet.
- This will cause a dramatic reduction of about 10 to 15% of your excess body weight.
- Patients suffering from severe obesity can easily lose up to 25 to 30 pounds of their excess weight in the first month.
Weight loss after gastric sleeve 3 months
- The average weight loss at 3 months after your gastric sleeve is likely to be in the range of 25 to 35%.
- Your post-op diet would still be significantly restricted after the first month, which will help you shed off a considerable amount of excess pounds.
- Moreover, patients are usually highly motivated to lose weight in the first three months.
- Your rigorous adherence to your diet plan will help you maximize your weight loss benefits.
- You can expect to lose up to 50 to 60 pounds of your excess weight.
- Keep in touch with your surgeon’s team and your nutritionist for periodic guidance for consistent weight loss. At the end of three months, you may lose about 25 to 35 percent of your excess weight.
Average weight loss 6 months after gastric sleeve
- The pace of your weight loss will somewhat reduce at this stage.
- But if you have been disciplined about your diet and exercise program, you can expect to lose about 45 to 55% of your excess weight at six months.
Average weight loss 12 months after VSG surgery
- By the end of first year you would have inched closer to your ultimate weight loss goals.
- Average weight loss 12 months after VSG surgery will be about 65 to 70% of your excess weight.
Long term weight loss with gastric sleeve
With a dedicated healthy and active lifestyle, you would have achieved a substantial level of weight loss, or would be enjoying your ideal body weight.
- You would likely have experienced significant improvement in the symptoms of your pre-existing chronic or autoimmune diseases, such as diabetes, high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, arthritis, sleep apnea, PCOS, and other conditions.
- Your enhanced body image and confidence may also contribute to a more successful personal and professional life.
4 years after gastric sleeve
- Many patients manage to maintain their success weight loss 4 years after gastric sleeve in Mexico.
- Research studies have shown that at 4 years or 5 years, patients achieve significant excess BMI loss.
- In many cases, the co-morbidities also improve substantially during this period.
Gastric sleeve 10 years later
- The benefits of gastric sleeve 10 years later and beyond can be enormous if you have followed your surgeon’s advice.
- A JAMA research study showed that patients who chose bariatric procedures such as gastric sleeve has a considerably higher longevity compared to obese patients who did not undergo surgery.
Related: Gastric sleeve before and after
How to maintain weight loss after gastric sleeve
While rapid weight loss in the first year after gastric sleeve can be exciting, the key to success lies in maintaining weight loss for the long-term. With a disciplined lifestyle and a deep desire to live healthy, you can make the most of your bariatric surgery and maintain weight loss after gastric sleeve.
Here a few proven tips that will help you achieve this long-term goal.
- Never Skip Breakfast: Remember the old adage: “Eat breakfast like a king, and dinner like a pauper.” Breakfast is the healthiest meal of the day, and it will regularize your metabolism for the entire day.
- Minimize the Carbs: Make it a habit to focus more on a diet rich in lean proteins, so that your urge to eat carbs, such as rice, bread, pasta, pastries, and other sweets is reduced.
- Cut Down Snacking: Frequent nibbling, snacking, or grazing during the day will hurt your goal to maintain weight loss after gastric sleeve. Eat healthy meals so that you feel satiated for longer hours.
- Limit Your Beverages: Whether it is tea, coffee, alcohol, carbonated drinks, and other sugary drinks or shakes, they all will give you empty calories. Drink plenty of water to curtail your beverage desires.
- Focus on Fitness: Set aside time every day for walking, jogging, running, swimming, sports, or other physical activities. Join a gym if you have time or put an exercise machine in front of your flat screen. A focus on fitness is the best antidote to excess weight.
- Keep a Journal: According to experts, if you keep a meticulous record of everything you eat or drink during a day, it will give you a strong reality check and help you lose weight!
- Join a Support Group: Find other people among your family, friends, co-workers, and acquaintances who are in the same boat as you. You can enjoy excellent community benefits and inspiration to maintain weight loss.
Gastric sleeve weight loss stories
Whether you are considering a bariatric surgery or going through your post-surgery weight loss surgery, you will need nuggets of inspiration from others who have been there already. Look for positive and motivating gastric sleeve weight loss stories of other patients to strengthen your resolve to be one of them.
During your initial consultation, a dedicated bariatric surgeon may share with you some of the best gastric sleeve weight loss stories of their past patients. It will encourage you and provide you useful insights when you see the benefits of VSG surgery from the perspective of an actual patient, and learn about their overall weight loss experience.
Maximize gastric sleeve results with Jet Medical Tourism®
Gastric sleeve weight loss surgery in Mexico is an area of expertise for Jet Medical Tourism®. The doctors in our network have helped thousands of patients in the US and Canada to get rid of obesity for good with safe and affordable gastric sleeve surgery in Mexico. We work with some of the top rated hospitals, clinics and board certified weight loss surgeons in Mexico who have an impeccable track record of success.
Are you ready to start your weight loss journey?
Jet Medical Tourism® is here to help you. Since 2017, we have helped patients from all around the world achieve their weight loss goals successfully. Apply Now or get in touch with us today by calling (855) 506-6188 or the contact form.