How Much Do You Have To Weigh To Get Gastric Sleeve
How much do you have to weigh to get gastric sleeve is the very first question you should ask when you are considering a weight loss surgery. If you satisfy the clinically recommended gastric sleeve requirements, you could be a candidate for gastric sleeve surgery. Although there are general gastric sleeve qualifications and guidelines established by medical practitioners, you should remember that each case is unique.
An experienced bariatric surgeon is the right person who can determine your specific weight requirements before they accept you as a candidate. Therefore, you should set up a consultation with a trusted weight loss surgeon, where you can ask them how much do you have to weigh to get gastric sleeve surgery. Your surgeon will address all your concerns and will help you make an informed decision about your gastric sleeve surgery.
Gastric sleeve qualifications
Gastric sleeve surgery is a major procedure, and not everyone may be a suitable candidate for it. For your own safety, a skilled and experienced bariatric surgeon will determine your gastric sleeve eligibility before they give you a go-ahead for the procedure. One of the key gastric sleeve qualifications is your body mass index (BMI).
As long as you meet the minimum BMI for gastric sleeve, you may be a good candidate for this surgery. If you suffer from some obesity-related medical conditions, the BMI threshold is lower. This means, even with a lower BMI, you will be able to meet the vertical sleeve gastrectomy qualifications depending on your health condition.
Related: How long does gastric sleeve surgery take?
Weight requirements for gastric sleeve
Patients often wonder: “How do I know if I qualify for weight loss surgery” or “Am I a candidate for gastric sleeve?” It is important to understand that your body weight alone is not a determinant of gastric sleeve qualifications. Weight must be seen in relation to your height in order to evaluate whether you are suffering from obesity.
Minimum weight for gastric sleeve
Gastric sleeve requirements stipulated by bariatric surgery associations in each country are largely standardized. These requirements do not focus on your minimum body weight, but on your BMI, which is a more scientific metric to assess how much should be your ideal body weight, and how much excess weight do you have at present.
BMI requirements for gastric sleeve
To determine how much do you have to weigh to get gastric sleeve, you should first calculate your body mass index (BMI). The established formula to make this calculation is:
BMI = Body Weight / [Body Height]2
Example: Body Weight = 115 kg; Height = 160 cm (= 1.60 m)
BMI = 115 / (1.6)2 = 44.92
- The international clinical standard that fulfills your BMI requirements for gastric sleeve is 40 or above. In the above-mentioned example, since the patient’s BMI is above 40, he or she would clear the gastric sleeve surgery requirements.
- If you suffer from any obesity-related illnesses, such as type 2 diabetes, hypertension, or sleep apnea, you may fulfill the gastric sleeve surgery requirements even with a BMI of 35 or above. In exceptional circumstances, your weight loss surgery may accept you as a candidate for gastric sleeve even when your BMI is 30 or above. But this will depend on your overall health status and other factors.
Related: Why gastric sleeve surgery is the best weight loss surgery procedure?
Do you have to lose weight before gastric sleeve
Patients sometimes wonder whether they have to lose weight in order to satisfy gastric sleeve requirements. In ordinary circumstances, your bariatric surgeon will not require you to lose weight prior to your surgery as long as you are meeting the gastric sleeve requirements. However, for your own health and safety, it is always a good idea to improve your fitness levels before your surgery.
You should try to eat a balanced diet as far as possible and perform physical activities and moderate exercises in the weeks and months leading up to your gastric sleeve surgery. These healthy lifestyle practices are for your own good. But there are no specific weight requirements for gastric sleeve. Only specific minimum BMI requirements must be fulfilled in order to qualify for this surgery.
Related: Gastric sleeve pre op diet
How do I know if I qualify for weight loss surgery
You should ask your bariatric surgeon during the initial consultation: “How do I know if I qualify for weight loss surgery?” They will measure your current body weight and height as well as review your medical history in order to inform you your gastric sleeve requirements.
If you meet any one of the following two conditions, you will probably fulfill the gastric sleeve qualifications:
- Your BMI is equal to or greater than 40.
- Your BMI is equal to or greater than 35, and you suffer from one or more obesity-related medical conditions, such as diabetes, high blood pressure, or obstructive sleep apnea.
Related: Am I a candidate for weight loss surgery?
3 Ways to meet the gastric sleeve surgery requirements
You can determine exactly how much do you have to weigh to get gastric sleeve by interpreting your BMI results. You should be able to meet your VSG surgery requirements in the following ways:
- If you have insurance coverage, you should request your insurance provider to arrange for your BMI evaluation and medical exam. If you meet their minimum requirements during this professional evaluation, they will certify that you are a candidate for gastric sleeve.
- If you do not have insurance coverage, or your insurer refuses to qualify you for gastric sleeve, make an appointment with your doctor or hospital and request them to certify whether you are meeting gastric sleeve qualifications.
- Speak to a trusted medical tourism provider who can set up your free consultation with a weight loss surgeon. Submit the required medical documents and discuss your goals with the surgeon during your consultation. Based on their independent professional assessment, the surgeon can certify if you meet the gastric sleeve requirements.
Related: What is the success rate of gastric sleeve in Mexico?
Contact Jet Medical Tourism® & See if you are a good candidate for Gastric Sleeve
Are you looking for a clinically objective and clear answer to this question: “Am I a candidate for gastric sleeve?” At Jet Medical Tourism®, we are committed to providing patients with accurate and transparent information about their gastric sleeve surgery qualifications.
Jet Medical Tourism® is here to help you. Since 2017, we have helped patients from all around the world achieve their weight loss goals successfully. Apply Now or get in touch with us today by calling (855) 506-6188 or the contact form.