Gastric Bypass Surgery Alternatives: Gastric Bypass Revision
Gastric bypass surgery alternatives may become necessary in exceptional cases where the primary bariatric surgery has not resulted in the desired amount of weight loss or has caused complications. Some patients may assume that gastric bypass surgery alternatives no surgery can help them lose excess weight.
However, in reality, it may be difficult to get rid of obesity without surgery. Therefore, if you are committed to your weight loss goals, you should consider gastric bypass revision surgery.
You should look at the gastric bypass surgery alternatives reviews of other patients to understand how they have benefitted from this revision surgery. When you choose a safe and proven surgical alternative to gastric bypass surgery, you will be able to improve your body and health. You don’t have to suffer from obesity and its co-morbid medical conditions forever. As long as you work with an experienced bariatric surgeon, you can achieve the best outcomes with gastric bypass revision.
Contact Jet Medical Tourism® today!
What is gastric bypass surgery alternatives?
Gastric bypass surgery is the gold standard among various bariatric procedures to eliminate obesity. However, if your primary surgery has not led to a sustainable weight loss, you should know what are gastric bypass surgery alternatives in your case? This is a revision surgery procedure to give you a second chance to lose excess weight and reclaim a healthy and fit body for the rest of your life.
- At the time of your pre-operative consultation, you should ask your bariatric surgeon what are gastric bypass surgery alternatives. They will explain to you the different surgical techniques that can be used to perform a revision procedure.
- The surgeon will evaluate what has caused the failure of your primary procedure, and recommend the most appropriate gastric bypass revision surgery.
- If your stomach has stretched out after your primary procedure, your surgeon will have a few options. They may either place a band over the stomach to reduce food intake, or they may staple the pouch to reduce its size.
- This second option is also known as “sleeving the bypass.” As a third option, your surgeon may decide to bypass a larger portion of your intestines than before. This will further cut down your calorie absorption.
Related: What is gastric bypass surgery
Is gastric bypass revision an alternative to gastric bypass?
Gastric bypass revision is a scientifically established alternative to gastric bypass surgery. Your weight loss surgeon may recommend this alternative to you in the following circumstances:
Failure to follow the dietary guidelines
In rare cases, after your original gastric bypass, you may fail to lose weight or regain weight quickly. This may occur if you did not follow your surgeon’s pre- and post-operative diet and exercise guidelines correctly. If you continue to eat more than what your diet plan prescribes, your stomach pouch may stretch once again. This will reverse the benefits of your primary surgery.
Primary gastric bypass was wrongly performed
An alternative to gastric bypass surgery may become necessary if your primary surgery was performed incorrectly. Gastric bypass is a complex procedure, and you need to work with a bariatric surgeon with advanced skills and experience. Inadequate reduction of the pouch or improper rerouting of the intestines may result in failure of your original surgery.
Post-surgery medical complications
Although most of the gastric bypass procedures are highly successful, post-surgical health complications may arise in a few cases. Some of the complications that may require you to consider an alternative to gastric bypass surgery include:
- Scar tissue formation
- Ulcers in the stomach
- Leakage along staple lines
- Enlarged opening between the bypassed stomach and stomach pouch
- Malnutrition or inability to absorb vital nutrients
5 reasons why revision surgery is one of the best gastric bypass surgery alternatives
Gastric bypass revision surgeries are the ideal gastric bypass surgery alternatives. Your bariatric surgeon will evaluate the issues why your original surgery did not produce the desired results. Based on their professional evaluation, they will create a customized gastric bypass revision surgery plan. Here are five key reasons why gastric bypass surgery alternatives no surgery is not an option, and you should choose revision surgery.
1) Weight regain can be corrected
To address your concerns of weight regain, your bariatric surgeon can use the Transoral Outlet Reduction technique. As part of your revision surgery, this technique will reduce your gastric pouch size so that you will feel full faster. Overeating after your primary surgery may have caused enlargement of your stomach pouch, which can be corrected with this revision technique.
Related: Weight gain after gastric bypass
2) Stoma dilation can be reversed
Following your original gastric bypass, if your stoma has dilated, it can be reversed with a revision surgery. Stoma is the opening between your small intestine and stomach. If its size increases, it can create problems with your digestion and nutrient absorption. It is easy to resolve this issue with a customized gastric bypass revision surgery.
3) Roux limb can be lengthened
If you have a low metabolic rate, you may experience weight loss failure even if you are following a good diet and exercise regimen after your gastric bypass. A revision surgery will convert your traditional Roux-en-Y bypass to distal gastric bypass by lengthening the Roux limb. This will help you achieve the desired weight loss results.
4) Extreme obesity can be treated
For patients suffering from extreme obesity (with a BMI of more than 50), sometimes the primary gastric bypass may fail. An effective alternative to gastric bypass surgery in this case would be a revision procedure that involves duodenal switch conversion. You can achieve substantial weight loss when gastric bypass conversion to duodenal switch surgery is performed as part of your revision procedure.
5) Candy Cane Syndrome can be resolved
Some patients may experience vomiting, nausea and abdominal pain after their original surgery. If your gastric bypass revision surgeon diagnoses the problem of “Candy Cane” syndrome, they can remove it laparoscopially as part of your revision procedure. In almost all the cases, the symptoms get fully resolved with a gastric bypass revision surgery.
Related: Gastric bypass revision success rate
When to consider gastric bypass surgery alternatives
The success rate in original gastric bypass surgeries is very high, but in some unavoidable circumstances, it may become necessary to consider gastric bypass surgery alternatives. You should stay alert to any abnormal health symptoms, keep a track of your progressive weight loss, and maintain your follow-up appointments with your bariatric surgeon as scheduled.
Here are three important conditions when it may become essential to seek a gastric bypass revision surgery:
- Failing to lose sufficient weight
- Regaining the lost weight quickly
- Health complications
Make sure to consult with a qualified bariatric surgeon to determine whether gastric bypass surgery alternatives are right for you.
Are gastric bypass surgery alternatives safe?
When a patient is struggling with the failure of their primary weight loss surgery, they may naturally ask: Are gastric bypass surgery alternatives safe? The fact is that revision surgeries are almost always more complex than the original procedure.
However, this does not mean that revision procedures are not safe. It only means that you should make sure to choose a fully trained and experienced weight loss surgeon for a revision procedure.
- At the time of your initial consultation, ask your surgeon clearly: Are the gastric bypass surgery alternatives safe for me?
- They will explain to you the pros and cons of a revision procedure and discuss the potential risks involved. The first concern of a responsible surgeon will be to educate you about the surgery, and help you make a well-considered decision.
- At your end, you should be committed to maintaining a balanced diet and an active lifestyle after your gastric bypass revision surgery. As long as you are diligent with following your surgeon’s instructions related to your post-operative gastric bypass diet and exercise, you will achieve safe results.
- It is completely worth making the effort for a revision surgery when your entire life and health is at stake.
Do the gastric bypass surgery alternatives work?
Gastric bypass surgery alternatives, clinically known as gastric bypass revision surgery, are scientifically proven procedures with a high success rate. If you are committed to abiding by your surgeon’s dietary and exercise guidelines, you can achieve outstanding results with this procedure. The gastric bypass surgery alternatives work in two ways to help you lose excess weight:
Reduce the size of your stoma
If the connection between your stomach pouch and small intestines (known as the stoma) has enlarged after your gastric bypass, it can be reduced with a revision surgery. Your surgeon will tighten the connection during your revision procedure. This will relieve you of the unpleasant symptoms such as abdominal pain and nausea, and enable you to achieve healthy weight loss.
Reduce the size of your pouch
Weight loss failure with your primary surgery may occur if the stomach pouch gets stretched over time. A gastric bypass surgery alternatives procedure can be performed to tighten this pouch and reduce its size once again. This will make you feel full faster, curb your appetite, and help you lose weight in a natural and sustainable manner.
Gastric bypass surgery alternatives reviews
Patients who have had a less than satisfactory experience with their original gastric bypass surgery will naturally be concerned whether it is worth it the second time.
- If you are facing this dilemma, you should objectively consider gastric bypass surgery alternatives reviews of past patients. This will give you useful insights about the effectiveness of a revision surgery from an actual patient’s perspective.
- In addition, you may also request your surgeon to provide you a few gastric bypass surgery alternatives before and after photos of past patients. It will serve as visual evidence for you to see what to expect and what not to expect from your revision surgery.
- With a dispassionate evaluation of gastric bypass surgery alternatives reviews and images, you will be better placed to make an informed decision about your revision procedure.
Related: Jet Medical Tourism® reviews
Contact Jet Medical Tourism® today for gastric bypass surgery alternatives
Gastric bypass revision surgery is a safe way to get rid of obesity for good, and regain control of your life. At Jet Medical Tourism®, we understand how you feel after the failure of your initial weight loss surgery. Our compassionate and caring team of professionals will help restore your confidence and win your battle against obesity for good.
Jet Medical Tourism® is here to help you. Since 2017, we have helped patients from all around the world achieve their weight loss goals successfully. Apply Now or get in touch with us today by calling (855) 506-6188 or the contact form.