Gastric Bypass Cost in Mexico
Gastric bypass cost in Mexico is an important starting point when you are considering a bariatric surgery to eliminate obesity. You should conduct your own independent cost-benefit analysis to make a judicious decision about going ahead with this surgery. A dedicated weight loss surgeon in Mexico will answer all your cost-related questions, and explain to you the pros and cons of this surgery in comparison to other bariatric procedures.
Average cost of gastric bypass surgery in Mexico
Gastric bypass is considered the gold standard in weight loss surgery for many patients struggling with obesity. Mexico has emerged as a top medical tourism destination for this procedure because of the high standards of care and very affordable costs of surgery in the country. During your initial consultation, it is important to ask your surgeon how much does a gastric bypass cost in Mexico?
Gastric Bypass Surgery Cost in Mexico
The average cost of gastric bypass surgery in Mexico is about $5,500 to $7,000 for a standard laparoscopic procedure. Even when you choose the best gastric bypass surgeon in Mexico and get operated at a top-rated hospital in the country, your cost would be within this average estimated price range. Patients from all over the world now visit Mexico for advanced bariatric surgery procedures such as gastric bypass.
Inclusions in Mexico Gastric Bypass Cost
When you ask your surgeon how much does gastric bypass surgery cost in Mexico, you should also ask what all is included in the cost. At a reputable full-service Mexico bariatric surgery hospital, you can expect the following cost inclusions:
- Fee of the weight loss surgeon
- Fee of the anesthesiologist
- Fee of other attending physicians, if any
- Operating room costs
- Overnight stay at the hospital, if required
- Pre- and post-surgery diagnostics and blood work
- Prescription medications for a week
- Nutritionist consultation
- Post-op consultation with the surgeon
- Ground transport from airport to hotel
How much does gastric bypass cost in Mexico vs USA
If you are living in the United States, you should obtain clear information about how much does gastric bypass surgery cost in USA and how much it costs in Mexico. Then you can draw an objective comparison and estimate the savings you will make if you choose to have your surgery in Mexico. At your pre-op consultation, you can ask your surgeon how much does gastric bypass cost in Mexico vs. USA.
Cost Comparison between the US and Mexico
The average gastric bypass surgery cost in USA is about $25,000 to $30,000. In comparison, the cost of the same procedure in Mexico will be about 70% lower or more. If you do not qualify for insurance coverage for this procedure in the US, the cost can be prohibitively expensive. In those circumstances, it is usually prudent to have your gastric bypass surgery in Mexico at a small fraction of the cost.
Surgical Quality Standards – US vs. Mexico
The safety and success rates of gastric bypass surgery in Mexico are virtually the same as what you can expect at some of the best hospitals in the US. The government of Mexico has enforced stringent regulations to ensure the highest quality standards at the country’s hospitals for medical tourism. Therefore, you can safely achieve your weight loss goals with a very affordable gastric bypass price range in Mexico.
Related: Weight loss surgery cost in Mexico: A comprehensive guide
Is Mexico the cheapest place to get a gastric bypass?
Many patients in the US and Canada wish to know which is the world’s cheapest place to get gastric bypass surgery? On most parameters, Mexico ranks as the cheapest place to get gastric bypass surgery – all other factors and surgical standards of care remaining the same. For this reason, every year thousands of women and men from these countries choose Mexico for their gastric bypass surgery.
Low Costs of Travel to Mexico
If you are a resident of the US or Canada, you should not only consider how much does a gastric bypass cost in Mexico, but also how much will you have to pay for your travel to and from. If you choose a distant medical tourism destination (such as Asia), you are likely to end up paying thousands of dollars in travel costs. On the other hand, Mexico shares its border with the US, and your transportation costs will be very little.
Low Costs of Stay and Food
Mexico will also turn out to be the cheapest place to get gastric bypass surgery when you take the costs of stay, food and local transport within the city into account. You will need to visit at least one to two days ahead of your scheduled surgery and will be staying for about one week in Mexico for your post-op recovery. Your accommodation and living costs during this period will be highly affordable in Mexico.
Why is Mexico gastric bypass cost lower?
Many people want to know why there is such wide disparity in the costs of gastric bypass surgery between Mexico and the US. Feel free to discuss this issue with your Mexico bariatric surgeon during your pre-operative consultation. Here are a few key reasons for the lower costs in Mexico:
- General Cost of Living: The living cost index in Mexico is substantially lower than countries like the US or Canada. As a result, the average costs of most products and services, including medical services is lower in Mexico.
- Lower Hospital Costs: While the US has one of the highest costs of medical care in the world, Mexico is far cheaper. Mexico hospitals have low overheads and low staff costs, which make the procedures more affordable.
- Affordable Surgeon’s Fee: Gastric bypass surgeons in Mexico will not charge exorbitant fees, even when they are highly qualified. They usually don’t have to buy malpractice insurance, which also reduces their costs.
- Costs are All-Inclusive: To maintain competitive medical tourism, most hospitals in Mexico offer all-inclusive gastric bypass costs. This avoids expensive hidden charges that would otherwise raise your costs of surgery.
Related: Should you get bariatric surgery in Mexico vs USA? Compare risks and costs
Is low cost gastric bypass surgery in Mexico less safe?
Some patients may be hesitant to go ahead with their gastric bypass Mexico surgery because of misconceptions about the costs. It is important to clear any confusion about whether a low cost gastric bypass surgery in Mexico will be less safe. Here are a few salient points to note:
- Different Countries, Different Costs: If there is a drastic cost variation for the same procedure at two hospitals in the same country, it could have a correlation between cost and quality. But this correlation is invalid between the hospitals in two different countries, which have different costs of living.
- Insurance and Administrative Costs: In the US or Canada, the costs of healthcare are among the highest in the world because of the complex insurance and administrative systems. In Mexico, the burden of these costs is nearly non-existent because you pay cash and get your surgery done at a low cost.
- High Competition for Medical Tourism: Medical tourism in Mexico competes with the entire world, and as a result, the gastric bypass surgery costs are low, while the quality standards are high. The US and Canada do not face global competition, so they charge sky high prices. It has no correlation with the quality of surgery.
Related: Is Tijuana safe?
Mini gastric bypass Mexico cost
The average mini gastric bypass Mexico cost is in the range of $5,200 to $6,500. The same procedure in the US or Canada may cost you upwards of $20,000. Patients may want to know why the costs of mini gastric bypass surgery in Mexico and a traditional full gastric bypass are only marginally different. Here are a few reasons for it:
- Just like a standard gastric bypass, the mini gastric bypass surgery is also performed using general anesthesia. So, the anesthesiologist fee remains unchanged.
- Your mini gastric bypass in Mexico will be performed in the same surgery room as a standard gastric bypass. Therefore, the operating room charges are the same.
- Pre- and post-surgical medical tests, prescription meds, travel costs are also similar for the two procedures.
- Overnight hospital stay may be less essential for a mini gastric bypass. This may reduce the hospitalization costs and the costs of physician and nursing care.
- Bariatric surgeons in Mexico may charge a slightly lower fee for a mini gastric bypass because of the reduced surgery time involved.
Related: Mini gastric bypass vs Gastric bypass
Insurance coverage for the cost of gastric bypass in Mexico
Before you consider a gastric bypass surgery in Mexico, at first you should check with your health insurance provider in your home country about the coverage for this procedure. If you have adequate insurance and you qualify for gastric bypass, you may choose to have your surgery in your home country. In any case, you should know the following facts about insurance coverage for gastric bypass costs:
- Even if your medical insurance policy in the US or Canada covers gastric bypass, you may or may not qualify as a candidate for insurance coverage. Insurance companies have stringent eligibility conditions for this surgery.
- If you receive insurance coverage in the US or Canada, make sure to check the co-pays and deductibles involved. Sometimes these costs themselves may be higher than your overall gastric bypass cost in Mexico.
- Talk to your insurance provider about your plans to have your gastric bypass in Mexico. If the rules permit, they may be more willing to offer you coverage in this case because of the much lower costs of gastric bypass in Mexico.
- Mini gastric bypass costs may not be covered by insurance, whether in the US or in Mexico. Most insurance companies do not recognize this relatively new procedure as yet for the purpose of insurance coverage.
- Considering the low gastric bypass surgery price in Mexico, chances are that you will be able to easily afford this procedure even if you do not have sufficient insurance coverage or do not qualify for it in your home country.
Final words on gastric bypass costs
Every human being has a right to lead a healthy and fit life. The high gastric bypass costs in USA or Canada should not deter you from regaining control of your health and fitness. The affordable gastric bypass surgery cost in Mexico makes it possible for you to achieve your weight loss goals without disrupting your budget or going under heavy debts.
Talk to a seasoned medical tourism service provider who can offer you a competitive gastric bypass cost in Mexico, while ensuring the highest safety and quality standards. This life-altering surgery will save you thousands of dollars you might otherwise be spending every year to deal with obesity. More importantly, it will restore your health and self-confidence and let you be in-charge of your own life once again.
Are you ready to start your weight loss journey?
Jet Medical Tourism® is here to help you. Since 2017, we have helped patients from all around the world achieve their weight loss goals successfully. Apply Now or get in touch with us today by calling (855) 506-6188 or the contact form.