Weight Loss Surgery For 50 Pounds Overweight
While you are considering surgical options to eliminate obesity, you should know how does weight loss surgery work. The surgery itself will not reduce your body weight by even a few pounds. However, it will reset your body in a way that you can naturally start losing weight by controlling your diet. Another important question to address is if you are just 50 pounds overweight, where to start and whether to seek a bariatric surgery for it.
The ideal solution for people who are 50 lbs overweight is to focus on diet and exercise in order to get rid of excess weight. However, in many cases, the body weight may have become resistant to diet and exercise. In this situation, weight loss surgery for 50 pounds excess weight could be a viable medical strategy. Talk to a qualified bariatric surgeon about how to lose 50 lbs and follow their professional advice for best outcomes.
I am 50 lbs overweight. What to do?
At your initial consultation with an expert bariatric surgeon, you should ask how does weight loss surgery work and whether you are a candidate for it if you are just 50 lbs overweight. Your surgeon will determine your body mass index (BMI). In general, weight loss surgery for 50 pounds excess weight may be an option if your BMI is at least 30 or higher.
Non-surgical treatments don’t work
Are you wondering: “Will I qualify for bariatric surgery if I am 50 lbs overweight?” The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) has a clear answer to resolve this dilemma. The official 2018 position statement of the ASMBS for low BMI patients says that people with Class I obesity (BMI of 30 or higher) need a durable treatment because non-surgical treatments are often ineffective. Achieving temporary weight loss with a crash diet program can do more harm than good.
Weight loss surgery for BMI of 30
The ASMBS position statement goes on to state that people with a BMI ranging between 30 and 35, who are suffering from obesity-related health concerns and have failed to achieve sustainable and significant weight loss with non-surgical meals should be offered bariatric surgery. This more or less settles the debate if you are wondering how to lose 50 lbs and your BMI is 30 or higher. Talk to a skilled surgeon to understand how does weight loss surgery work for low BMI patients.
Weight loss surgery options for 50 pounds overweight
Weight loss surgery for 50 pounds overweight is an option worth considering if the traditional non-invasive methods such as diet and exercise have not worked for you. Patients often ask, “I am 50 lbs overweight. Where to start for my weight loss, and how fast can I lose 50 pounds?”
Consider the following safe and proven surgery options in consultation with a bariatric surgeon.
- Gastric sleeve surgery: The international counterpart of ASMBS, the International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders (IFSO) position statement says that patients with Class I obesity should have access to bariatric surgery procedures such as gastric sleeve. IFSO says that if you fail to achieve sufficient weight loss with non-surgical treatments, you may consider gastric sleeve or other bariatric procedures even if your BMI ranges from 30 to 35.
- Gastric bypass surgery: If you are 50 lbs overweight and suffering from obesity-related type 2 diabetes, you could be a candidate for gastric bypass surgery. A bariatric surgeon can explain you how does weight loss surgery work to reduce the symptoms of type 2 diabetes. In 2016, leading global diabetes organizations, including the American Diabetes Association (ADA) issued a joint statement recommending bariatric procedures such as gastric bypass for patients with a BMI of 30 or higher with poorly controlled diabetes type 2.
- Gastric banding surgery: Weight loss surgery for 50 pounds overweight (with a BMI of 30 to 35) is effective and well-tolerated. This is the 2018 position statement of the ASMBS, which recommends gastric banding surgery as an option, in addition to VSG and gastric bypass surgeries. The ASMBS says that the safety and effectiveness of all these bariatric procedures, including gastric banding, in low BMI candidates may deliver similar outcomes as in patients with more severe obesity.
Related: What is the safest form of weight loss surgery
How fast can I lose 50 pounds after bariatric surgery
Patients are naturally anxious to know if they are 50 pounds overweight – where to start and how to lose 50 lbs. Another frequently asked question during surgical consultations is: “How fast can I lose 50 pounds?”
The good news is that if you are a suitable candidate for low BMI bariatric surgery, you are likely to achieve 50 lbs weight loss much faster than patients with severe obesity. Here is the estimated weight loss trend at different stages after your low BMI weight loss surgery.
- 3 months after your surgery: 30 to 40% excess weight loss
- 6 months after your surgery: 40 to 70% excess weight loss
- 9 months after your surgery: 70 to 85% excess weight loss
- 12 months after your surgery: 85 to 90% excess weight loss
- 18 months after your surgery: 90 to 95% excess weight loss
- 24 months after your surgery: up to 100% excess weight loss
It is important to note that these are only average weight loss trends or estimates for people who ask, “How fast can I lose 50 pounds?” Individual patient outcomes can vary. You may lose less or more than these average indications depending on your age, health, pre-surgery BMI, type of bariatric surgery, and how diligently you maintain your post-op bariatric diet and exercise. For more information, consult your surgeon about how does weight loss surgery work for patients who are 50 lbs overweight.
Related: Gastric sleeve weight loss chart, timeline
50 pounds overweight where to start
“I am 50 lbs overweight, where to start?” This is one of the common concerns among women and men who have failed to achieve meaningful weight loss with non-surgical therapies. Here are some of the key steps that will set you up for a safe and successful weight loss surgery for 50 pounds.
- Step 1: Your starting point should be to talk to a reputable medical tourism provider if you are 50 lbs overweight and wish to undergo an affordable bariatric surgery overseas. Request their patient coordinators to schedule your consultation with their bariatric surgeon.
- Step 2: At your pre-operative consultation with the surgeon, you should clarify all the doubts and concerns you may have regarding how to lose 50 lbs overweight or how fast can I lose 50 pounds excess weight. Share your medical history with the surgeon for getting the right advice.
- Step 3: Request your surgeon to show you 50 lbs weight loss before and after photos as well as patient testimonials. This will provide you useful insights from the perspective of other patients and give you more confidence to go ahead with your low BMI weight loss surgery.
- Step 4: Once you are clear about how does weight loss surgery work for patients who are only 50 pounds overweight, you can evaluate all the pros and cons and make a final decision. If you are ready to go ahead, you can schedule a date of surgery through your medical tourism company.
- Step 5: Prepare your travel documents, make hotel bookings, and complete other formalities with the assistance of your patient coordinators. Arrive at least a day or two ahead of your scheduled surgery date and have an in-person consultation with the surgery. You are now all set for your procedure.
Related: Travel to Tijuana Mexico for gastric sleeve surgery
Can I have the sleeve surgery if I'm 50 pounds overweight?
Gastric sleeve surgery is the ideal procedure to choose if you are 50 lbs overweight. For low BMI patients, more invasive surgeries such as gastric bypass or duodenal switch may not be necessary. Gastric sleeve does not involve any surgical changes to the intestine, which makes it a much safer, quicker, and simpler bariatric surgery.
Related: Pros and cons of gastric sleeve surgery
How does weight loss surgery work?
In a gastric sleeve procedure, your surgeon will remove about 75 to 80% of your original stomach volume. This will reduce your stomach’s capacity to store food. As a result, you will eat smaller meal portions and will feel full faster. Secondly, the VSG procedure will reduce the production of ghrelin (hunger hormones) in your body, which will help to curb your appetite. With these physiological changes, you can eliminate your excess weight quickly and naturally.
What do the researchers say?
Research has shown that gastric sleeve surgery is well-suited for patients with a relatively low BMI. One research study showed that 9 out of 10 low BMI patients were “very satisfied” with the results of their gastric sleeve surgery. Average excess weight loss in these patients was 72% at one year. So, if you are wondering, how to lose 50 pounds fast, consider sleeve gastrectomy with a qualified and experienced bariatric surgeon.
Related: Gastric sleeve requirements: Do I qualify for it?
Weight loss surgery before and after photos
One of the simplest ways to understand how does bariatric surgery work for low BMI patients is to review weight loss surgery before and after pictures of patient who lost 50lbs and more. These sample photos serve as a visual aid to help you form reasonable expectations and understand clearly what a low BMI surgery can or cannot do for you. Here are a few 50 pound weight loss ‘before and after’ images which might help you make an informed decision. Be sure to always consult with your bariatric surgeon.
View More: Gastric sleeve before and after photos
Weight loss surgery for 50 pounds overweight is a clinically viable option. The National Institutes of Health guidelines about having a minimum BMI of 35 were put in place three decades ago. These guidelines have already become outdated because obesity has increased by epidemic proportions in recent years, and new research has shown that low BMI patients should not be denied the benefits of bariatric surgery.
Consult a good bariatric surgeon about how does weight loss surgery work for patients who are 50 lbs overweight. As long as your surgeon accepts you as a candidate for gastric sleeve or gastric bypass, you can go ahead and achieve your weight loss goals safely. Maintain a positive mindset and choose a dedicated surgeon who will provide you the right advice on how lose 50 lbs with a weight loss surgery.
Are you ready to start your weight loss journey?
Jet Medical Tourism® is here to help you. Since 2017, we have helped patients from all around the world achieve their weight loss goals successfully. Apply Now or get in touch with us today by calling (855) 506-6188 or the contact form.