Excess Skin Removal: Cost, Recovery & Before, And After
Obesity has been growing at an alarming rate worldwide, posing a serious risk to health and well-being. Fortunately, it is possible to treat it with bariatric surgery, and some people may even achieve substantial weight loss through diet and exercise. However, one of the downsides of massive weight loss is that you may end up with loose or hanging skin in some areas of the body.
This condition can be reversed with excess skin removal surgery. Skin removal after weight loss is a safe and proven plastic surgery procedure that can help you achieve a firm and youthful looking body contour. It is prudent to review excess skin removal before and after images at your initial consultation to form a realistic view of what this surgery can or cannot do for you.
What is excess skin removal surgery?
Excess skin removal is a form of body contouring plastic surgery that can be performed in the lower, upper, middle, or full body areas to eliminate drooping skin and restore a tighter, firmer body appearance. The procedure can be customized to suit your unique needs for skin removal weight loss in the stomach, buttocks, hips, thighs, lower back, groin, breasts, and upper arms. Before making a decision, you should know the excess skin removal surgery cost, benefits, risks, and recovery time involved.
Excess stomach skin removal is commonly performed as a panniculectomy. Following massive weight loss, a large amount of loose skin may be left hanging from your lower abdomen, which appears like an “apron” around your waist. Your plastic surgeon will remove the “pannus” to create a flatter and smoother abdominal appearance.
The best excess skin removal surgeon will usually perform this surgery using a horizontal incision between the hipbones. In some cases, they may also create a second incision that vertically goes to the pubic bone. Through these incisions, the surgeon will perform excess stomach skin removal and then re-drape the remaining skin tightly over the abdominal area.
Related: Tummy tuck in Mexico (Abdominoplasty)
Excess skin removal thighs surgery is an excellent procedure to help you achieve attractive, toned and refined upper legs. You should request your surgeon to show you thigh skin removal before and after photos involving different techniques for inner thighs, outer thighs, or medial thighs. Your surgeon will explain to you how is excess skin removed from the thighs under each technique.
Excess skin removal in the inner thighs will require an incision at the meeting point between your thigh and the pubic region. If loose skin in the outer thighs is causing a problem, the incision may be created around your buttocks or hip area to tighten the skin on the outside or front of the upper legs. Excess skin removal thighs in the medial region will require a cut in the groin that extends to the hip or the buttock.
Related: Cost of thigh lift in Mexico
Excess skin removal arms surgery can be performed if you are bothered by the appearance of loose or hanging skin in the upper arms. The procedure involves an incision in the armpit that will run along the arm underside up to the elbow.
- The best excess skin removal surgeon will be able to place the incision in a discreet location to minimize subsequent scarring.
- Through the incision, your surgeon will trim away sagging skin and tissue from the upper arm.
- Then they will re-drape the remaining skin tightly over the arm so that it adopts the new, refined arm contours.
- Make sure to review a few upper arm excess skin removal before and after pictures to visualize how your arms would complement with the rest of your upper body after the procedure.
Related: Cost of arm lift in Mexico
How is excess skin removed
During your pre-operative consultation, your surgeon will explain to you how is excess skin removed. Depending on the areas where you require loose skin removal, they will create a customized surgery plan for you. You should discuss the excess skin removal surgery cost, recovery, and long-term benefits with your surgeon and determine the type of surgical technique that best matches with your needs.
- Lower body: Excess skin removal after weight loss in the lower body areas is the most commonly performed procedure. In this procedure, your surgeon will create an incision around your waist line, down the inner thighs, and across the lower mid-section. Through these incisions, they will perform excess skin removal buttocks and thighs to create flattering lower body contours.
- Mid body: If you are seeking excess stomach skin removal, your surgeon will create a circumferential or semi-circle incision around the mid-section to trim the loose or hanging skin from your stomach or torso. Excess skin removal recovery time in this procedure will depend on whether it is performed as a standalone surgery or in conjunction with a lower body lift.
- Total body: A full body skin removal weight loss procedure is ideally suited if you have developed significant skin laxity in multiple areas of the body. The best excess skin removal surgeon will use common incisions to tighten the skin in your breasts, upper arms, mid-section, buttocks, and thighs. Ask them how is excess skin removed in a total body procedure and whether you are a candidate for it?
Related: Liposuction vs. tummy Tuck: Which plastic surgery procedure is better?
When to get skin removal surgery?
Excess skin removal procedure is ideally suited for individuals who have undergone a major weight loss and developed significantly sagging skin as a result of it. However, bariatric surgery is not the only reason to undergo this procedure. An experienced plastic surgeon can guide you when to get skin removal surgery and whether it will meet your personal aesthetic goals.
- Weight loss: Excess skin removal after weight loss surgery may be performed when your body weight has stabilized after the bariatric procedure. In some cases, it is possible to lose substantial weight even with diet and exercise, which may necessitate a skin removal surgery if the tissue has lost elasticity.
- Pregnancy: Some women may experience deflated breasts or large amounts of loose skin in the abdominal area, upper arms, thighs, or buttocks following pregnancy and breastfeeding. Ask your surgeon when to get skin removal surgery safely after childbirth to restore a pre-pregnancy figure.
- Aging: Many people develop heaving sagging skin in certain areas of the body simply due to the effects of aging, gravitational forces, illness, or medications. You should explore how to qualify for skin removal surgery if you wish to regain a firmer and more youthful looking body appearance.
How to qualify for skin removal surgery
Excess skin removal is a major plastic surgery procedure. You should be aware how to qualify for skin removal surgery and choose the right surgeon who will objectively determine your candidacy. A good surgeon will usually present skin removal before and after photographs before you to help you form reasonable expectations and make a judicious, well-informed choice.
You may qualify for loose skin removal surgery if:
- You have undergone a massive weight loss and developed loose or hanging skin in lower, upper or mid body areas
- Your body weight is no longer fluctuation following your weight loss
- You are in good physical and emotional health condition to undergo skin removal after weight loss as well as general anesthesia
- You do not have any foreseeable plans for a pregnancy or another weight loss program
- You are committed to quitting smoking for at least a minimum period before and after your surgery
- You are prepared to maintain a balanced diet and active lifestyle following your skin removal surgery
- You have realistic expectations, are willing to accept post-op scars, and have reviewed skin removal before and after images
- You are aware of the excess skin removal recovery time and how much does skin removal surgery cost
Excess Skin removal after weight loss surgery
One of the concerns some patients may have before they undergo a bariatric surgery is: “Will I need skin removal after weight loss?” Your surgeon will examine your skin elasticity, thickness, and the amount of fatty deposits to estimate whether you may need excess skin removal after surgery after weight loss.
The good news is that skin removal weight loss is a relatively less invasive procedure because it does not involve muscle restructuring or fat deposit removal, and only requires trimming away of loose skin. Make sure to discuss the cost of excess skin removal after weight loss with your surgeon in order to make a well-considered decision.
After gastric bypass
Following a gastric bypass surgery, you can expect to lose weight rapidly in the first six months. Most patients are able to successfully maintain their weight loss after this surgery because it reduces your capacity to eat as well as lowers your body’s calorie absorption. A massive weight loss after gastric bypass can sometimes cause your skin to droop in certain areas.
Excess skin removal after gastric bypass is a viable option to achieve a firmer and smoother body contour. Skin removal weight loss will allow you to enjoy the maximum benefits of your gastric bypass surgery. You will be able to wear any type of clothes, participate in outdoor activities, and reclaim your confidence to do well in personal as well as professional life.
Related: Loose skin after gastric sleeve
After gastric sleeve
Gastric sleeve surgery is currently the most popular bariatric procedure to get rid of obesity. Following your gastric sleeve, you may be able to lose up to 70 to 80% of your excess weight within the first year itself. Once your body weight has stabilized, you could consider excess skin removal after gastric sleeve to further enhance your new body proportions and look.
At the time of your initial consultation, you should request your plastic surgeon to share with you excess skin gastric sleeve before and after skin images of other patients. This will help you understand how a skin removal surgery after gastric sleeve can restore a youthful, aesthetically appealing figure that you always wanted and allow you to make the most of your VSG surgery.
Related: Plastic surgery after weight loss surgery
How much does excess skin removal cost
The average excess skin removal cost in the US or Canada may be as high as $10,000, while you may be able to undergo the same surgery in Mexico for about $4,000 on average. But you should note that these are just average estimates, while the actual costs for a patient will vary depending on several factors.
At your initial consultation, be prepared to ask your plastic surgeon about how much does excess skin removal cost and make a careful choice.
Mexico excess skin removal surgery cost inclusions
- Fee charged by the plastic surgeon
- Fee charged by any other attending surgeons/physicians
- Fee charged by the anesthesiologist
- Cost of hospitalization and operation room charges
- Overnight stay at the hospital, if necessary
- Pre- and post-op medical tests and consultations
- One week’s prescription meds and surgical accessories
Related: Skin removal surgery in Mexico
Factors affecting excess skin removal surgery cost
- Skill, experience and qualifications of your plastic surgeon
- Reputation of the hospital or plastic surgery center
- Facilities and amenities offered at the hospital
- Extent of your excess skin removal surgery
- The type of sedation and anesthesia used
- Whether the surgery is combined with other procedures
- Length of your stay at the hospital post-surgery
Related: Plastic surgery prices
What insurance covers excess skin removal
Does insurance cover excess skin removal after weight loss? The answer can vary from one patient to another. In many cases, patients seek excess skin removal surgery solely for cosmetic reasons to achieve more desirable body contours. This will make you ineligible for insurance coverage.
However, in some cases, the procedure may be medically necessary, which will allow you to claim full or partial coverage under your health plan.
To determine what insurance covers excess skin removal, you should take the following steps.
- Review the terms and conditions provided in your medical insurance policy and your “certificate of eligibility”
- Call your insurer to ask under what circumstances does insurance cover excess skin removal after weight loss
- If your sagging skin is causing you pain, chafing, infection, or discomfort, make a detailed note of your problems
- Make an appointment with a plastic surgeon to discuss your medical concerns and get a diagnostic test evaluation done
- Submit a letter of recommendation and relevant medical documents from your surgeon to your insurance provider
- If your insurance coverage request is rejected, consider alternative safe and affordable options for excess skin removal surgery
Best excess skin removal surgeon near me
While you are exploring your options for excess skin removal near you, it is wise to consider the possibility of medical tourism in Mexico for a high quality yet low cost plastic surgery. The key is to choose the best excess skin removal surgeon near you who has the right skills and experience in performing this intricate procedure.
Here are some of the key questions that will help you identify the best excess skin removal surgeon near you.
- How many years of training and experience do you have in plastic surgery procedures?
- Have you performed body contouring surgeries in the past, including excess skin removal surgery?
- Do you have operating privileges at a hospital or a well-equipped plastic surgery center?
- Do you think I am a good candidate for skin removal after weight loss?
- Would you recommend a total body, mid body or lower body excess skin removal for me?
- How much does excess skin removal cost and what services will be included in your quoted price?
- Will you share a few excess skin removal before and after photos and testimonials of past patients with me?
- How much is extra skin removal recovery time and is it going to be a painful process?
- Are there any risks associated with the surgery and is your practice equipped to handle emergencies?
Related: Best plastic surgeons in Mexico
Excess skin removal recovery time
Excess skin removal recovery time may range from one to two weeks, depending on the type and extent of surgery performed. While you will be able to resume your normal routine after the initial downtime, complete recovery will take several weeks or months. It is vital to abide by your surgeon’s post-op care instructions to ensure a safe and expedited recovery.
- First week: If you have had only an extra skin removal arms, thighs or abdomen surgery, you may be ready to return to work or daily activities within a week. But during the first week, take plenty of rest and protect your incision sites from injury or infection. Swelling and bruising should considerably subside by the end of first week following your surgery.
- First month: Excess skin removal recovery time may be about 10 to 14 days if you have had a total body lift surgery. Sutures and drainage tubes could be removed somewhere in the second week. Continue to avoid vigorous activities, bending, lifting of heavy objects, and contact sports for at least the first four to six weeks after your skin removal surgery.
- Follow-ups: Your excess skin removal surgeon will monitor your sustainable recovery and progress in the months following your procedure. If you are facing any difficulties in your healing process, share your concerns during the follow-up appointments with your surgeon. Your surgeon will review your scarring improvement and tissue healing at these appointments.
Excess skin removal before and after pics
Excess skin removal surgery by Jet Medical Tourism®: What to expect?
Jet Medical Tourism® has on board some of the best excess skin removal surgeons that will help you achieve healthy and exceptionally beautiful outcomes. You can expect a dramatic improvement in your appearance and a new level of self-esteem following the skin removal surgery.
Here are some of the key benefits of excess skin removal after weight loss.
- Youthful, attractive looks: Excess skin removal after gastric bypass or gastric sleeve will enable you to flaunt the weight loss and toned body you have built. It will take off years from your appearance, enhance your aesthetic appeal, and make you look slimmer and trimmer.
- Physical comfort and health: Loose, hanging skin increases your risk of irritation, rashes and infection. It is harder to take care of personal hygiene in various body areas when you have too much sagging skin. Skin removal surgery will allow for better skin health and general comfort.
- More active lifestyle: Drooping skin tissue can weight you down and create obstructions in movement. Your everyday life gets affected and you may not even perform your fitness, sports or other physical activities comfortably. Skin removal weight loss helps you maintain a healthy and active lifestyle.
- Clothing choices: Unsightly skin folds and hanging skin can prevent you from wearing the clothes of your choice even after you have achieved massive weight loss. Extra skin removal surgery gives you the opportunity to wear all types of clothing, including swimwear, with style and confidence.
Your desired results are achievable
Once you have achieved freedom from obesity, 90% of the battle is already won. Now all you need is a full or partial excess skin removal surgery to attain the dream body you have worked so hard to build.
As long as you work with the best excess skin removal surgeon, you can achieve the desired results in a safe and affordable way.
Jet Medical Tourism® is here to help you get ready for a lifetime of health and beauty. We have helped patients from the United States with their plastic surgery goals successfully. Apply Now or get in touch with us today by calling (855) 506-6188 or the contact form.