Do I Need Weight Loss Surgery?
Medical professionals now recognize obesity as a disease, which can do serious harm to your health. It increases the risk of other illnesses, such as type 2 diabetes, hypertension, fatty liver disease, and obstructive sleep apnea. So, when your concern is: “Do I need weight loss surgery,” the simple answer is yes – if you have failed to get rid of obesity through non-surgical methods. Prioritize your own health, and talk to a bariatric surgeon about how to get weight loss surgery.
Contact Jet Medical Tourism® today.
When to get weight loss surgery?
While bariatric surgery is proven to be the most effective way to eliminate obesity, it is not a procedure for everyone. Your surgeon will carefully determine your candidacy when you ask them “Do I need weight loss surgery?” The standard medical guidelines have been established over the years that can help you understand when to get weight loss surgery. Let us look at the key criteria that will qualify you for it.
Body Mass Index (BMI)
If your BMI is 40 or above, you will most likely be accepted as a candidate for bariatric surgery. People with this level of BMI are considered to have severe obesity, which increases their health risks. At this BMI, when you ask your surgeon “Should I get weight loss surgery,” they may recommend it as long as you have tried non-invasive weight loss approaches, but without much success.
BMI with co-morbidities
When you have a BMI of 35 or above along with one or more obesity-related medical conditions, such as type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, lipid abnormalities, fatty liver disease, OSA, or high blood pressure, you may qualify for weight loss surgery. In these cases, the procedure will not only help you gain freedom from obesity, but will also contribute to the full or partial resolution of the co-morbidities.
Bariatric surgery for adolescents
A growing body of research now shows that severe obesity in adolescents can be safely treated with bariatric surgery. Many people want to know who can get weight loss surgery. So, the good news is that even adolescents with obesity can benefit from this surgery if they have a BMI of 40 or more, or a BMI of 35 or higher along with one or more co-morbidities. The surgeon may also assess the patient’s emotional health in these cases.
Why get weight loss surgery?
Once you are clear on the question: “Do I need weight loss surgery,” the next logical question you must ask is why get weight loss surgery? The potential benefits of this surgery will motivate you and give you the confidence to commit yourself to the procedure. Here are some of the salient reasons why you should get bariatric surgery.
- Health and longevity: Weight loss surgery will dramatically improve your health as you begin to shed excess pounds and return to a healthy body weight. If you have obesity-related illnesses, they may get resolved or go into remission. It increases longevity for most patients who remain committed to their prescribed post-op diet and fitness regimen in the long run.
- Physical appearance: Following a weight loss surgery, you can expect to lose excess weight rapidly and gain a well-proportioned, attractive, and more natural looking physical appearance. You can wear the clothes of your choice that will fit better. You can flaunt your desirable, more energized, and youthful looking figure, and win the attention and admiration of others.
- Emotional benefits: Many patients experience significant emotional benefits after a successful weight loss surgery. You will start loving your own body once again, you will love to participate in activities you have not done in years, and you may have an increased level of self-esteem and self-confidence. These are also likely to contribute to an improved performance professionally and in your personal relationships.
Related: Pros and cons of weight loss surgery
Should I get weight loss surgery?
In some cases, even when it is determined that you need weight loss surgery, doubts may still linger in your mind. You may be faced with questions like should I get weight loss surgery and is it really worth the effort. The good news is that with advancements in surgical techniques over the years, the safety and efficacy rates of bariatric surgery have drastically increased. Consider the following reasons if you are wondering: “Do I need weight loss surgery?”
- Genetic factors, illness, aging effects, and other factors usually make it hard to eliminate obesity with exercise and diet alone.
- Even if you manage to lose a reasonable amount of excess weight through non-surgical means, weight regain may occur quickly.
- Bariatric surgery is a clinically proven treatment with a high weight loss success rate and long-term maintenance of weight loss.
- With diet, even if you lose weight, it makes no difference to the hunger hormones, which will continue your urge to eat more.
- Bariatric surgery not only restricts eating capacity, but also alters the hormonal makeup to make you feel naturally less hungry.
- For people with severe or extremely severe obesity, it is much harder to shed off excess pounds without a weight loss surgery.
How to get weight loss surgery
To get weight loss surgery, a safe and affordable option would be to consider medical tourism. Your first step should be to choose a reputable medical tourism service provider with expertise in bariatric surgery procedures. They will arrange your free initial consultation with one of the qualified weight loss surgeons on their team. Following the consultation process, if you decide to go ahead with the surgery, the medical tourism company will hand hold you through the process for a safe surgery.
How to talk to your doctor about weight loss surgery
Your initial consultation with the bariatric surgeon is the most important meeting that will set the tone for your weight loss surgery. During your virtual or in-person consultation, feel free to ask questions and clear your doubts and concerns in order to make an informed choice. Be forthcoming about your medical history, lifestyle habits, and other relevant questions the surgeon may ask. Once you know the costs, benefits, and risks, you will get your own best answer to the big question: “Do I need weight loss surgery?”
Are you ready to start your weight loss journey?
Jet Medical Tourism® is here to help you. Since 2017, we have helped patients from all around the world achieve their weight loss goals successfully.