Long Term Effects of Gastric Sleeve
Long term effects of gastric sleeve surgery are highly favorable for most patients. Both physically and emotionally, the benefits are incalculable and life changing when you gain permanent freedom from obesity. However, to achieve gastric sleeve long term success, it is vital to maintain a disciplined lifestyle with regard to your diet and exercise. In a few cases, the gastric sleeve long term results will be less than satisfactory, but that is true of virtually every medical or surgical procedure.
During your pre-op consultation with your bariatric surgeon in Mexico, you should discuss not only the short term results, but also the expected outcomes of gastric sleeve 10 years later. Numerous research studies have shown that people live longer after a weight loss surgery and achieve a significant reduction in their obesity-related underlying health conditions. Positive gastric sleeve long term outcomes have led to an increased popularity of this surgery in recent decades.
Contact Jet Medical Tourism® today!
What to expect after gastric sleeve
Following your gastric sleeve surgery in Mexico, you can expect outstanding results in both the short term and the long term. However, the pre-conditions are that you should work with a skilled and experienced bariatric surgeon and have a lifelong commitment to abide by the best dietary practices.
Rapid Weight Loss in the First Year
You can expect to lose up to 70 percent of your excess body weight in the first 12 months after your gastric sleeve surgery. Substantial diet restrictions in the first three months will help induce rapid weight loss. A vast majority of patients continue to achieve significant progress with a monthly weight loss of about 7 to 10 pounds for the remaining part of the year.
All Round Success in the Long Run
Long term effects of gastric sleeve will not only occur in terms of weight loss, but also in terms of your health, personality, and quality of life. For many people, gastric sleeve 10 years later (or even much earlier) would have led to an improved health, a more confident personality, and success at both family and professional fronts. You can expect a dramatically enhanced quality of life after the surgery.
Gastric sleeve long term results
Gastric sleeve long term results are likely to be positive for a large number of patients. Most people will lose at least 50 percent of their excess body weight and will manage to maintain or improve that level in the long run. However, you should be aware that any bariatric procedure does not directly produce weight loss, but is meant to facilitate the weight loss process.
Improvements in Health and Longevity
Weight loss is just one of the beneficial long term effects of gastric sleeve. The surgery will help to eliminate or mitigate your co-morbidities that may have occurred because of obesity. It will also lower your risk of various diseases, such as cancer, diabetes, and cardiovascular disease. You can expect a higher longevity if you stay committed to your prescribed diet and fitness plan after the surgery.
Superior Quality of Life
An excellent quality of life is perhaps one of the most profound gastric sleeve long terms results. You will feel more energized and gain the ability to do activities that you have not attempted for years. Your personal relationships, performance at the workplace and engagement in social settings will all go to the next level. The positive long term gastric sleeve outcomes will far outweigh the potential downsides for most people.
Long term positive effects of gastric sleeve
Gastric sleeve long term success rates are highly encouraging both in terms of achieving sustainable weight loss and overcoming the symptoms of obesity-related illnesses. At the time of your initial consultation, you should ask your Mexico weight loss surgeon about positive long term effects of gastric sleeve for your health.
- Remission of Diabetes: If you have been suffering from type 2 diabetes, chances are that after your gastric sleeve surgery, the disease may go into long-term remission. Your dependence on insulin or other diabetes medications may reduce or get completely eliminated.
- Improved Heart Health: Gastric sleeve 10 years later or earlier may reduce your risk of stroke and coronary heart disease. Your blood cholesterol levels may normalize and hypertension may come under control. These will improve your cardiovascular health over time.
- Relief from OSA: Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) is a common problem for people suffering from obesity. One of the beneficial gastric sleeve long term effects is that you can achieve permanent freedom from this condition. You may no longer need to use a CPAP device during sleep.
- Joint Pain Reduction: Obesity may have led to increased stress on your joints that have to bear your body weight. Following gastric sleeve surgery and weight loss, this stress will be removed. You can achieve long term relief from joint pain and enjoy greater mobility.
- Stronger Mental Health: Social stigma and a lower self-esteem during your struggle with obesity could cause stress, anxiety, and depression. One of the most invaluable long-term effects of gastric sleeve may be that you can restore a strong mental health and emotional stability.
Related: Benefits of gastric sleeve surgery
Gastric sleeve long term side effects that you can avoid
Gastric sleeve long term side effects, such as weight loss plateau, weight regain, or resurgence of co-morbidities, may occur in some cases. Sustainable gastric sleeve long term success requires a lifelong adoption of healthy habits, including a balanced diet and regular exercise. You can avoid the gastric sleeve long term side effects by following these best practices.
- Change Your Lifestyle: The first step to achieving desirable gastric sleeve long term outcomes is to look at the surgery as a transformative event involving a complete lifestyle change. It is not a dieting program, but involves a total change of food habits and physical activity.
- Listen to Your Body: You will have to train yourself to consciously listen to your body when it feels full. Once you tune in naturally to satiety, you will automatically know when your stomach is full and when you are hungry. This will form the foundation of your sustainable weight loss.
- Join a Support Group: One of the most effective ways to maintain a long-term commitment to diet and exercise is to draw inspiration and encouragement from others who are in a similar situation as you. A support group will reinforce change and help you achieve your weight loss goals.
- Seek Professional Help: If you are struggling with adverse gastric sleeve long term side effects, it is time to seek professional help from your bariatric surgeon, nutritionist, or a mental health therapist. These experts can identify your challenges and assist you in overcoming them.
Gastric sleeve complications long term
Depending on your age, general health condition, your adherence to the surgeon’s guidelines, and genetic factors, you may experience gastric sleeve complications long term. The good news is that most of the complications are treatable or reversible. Consult with an experienced bariatric surgeon in Mexico to ensure that your health is restored, and you can maximize the benefits of your surgery. Gastric sleeve complications long term may include:
- Gastrointestinal bleeding, indicating a disorder of the digestive tract
- Development of gallstones, which may cause malfunction in the gallbladder
- Hernias, involving an abnormal tissue exist from the bowel
- Anastomotic stricture, which may involve an obstruction in lower rectum
- Complications of the abdominal wall
- Delayed post-op bowel obstruction
- Dumping syndrome, leading to diarrhea, nausea or vomiting
- Hypoglycemia or low blood sugar
- Development of ulcers or stomach perforations
- Failure of staple line in the gastric pouch
- Malnutrition due to low intake of vitamin supplements
- Weight loss failure or weight regain
Related: Is gastric sleeve safe?
4 years after gastric sleeve
Long term effects of gastric sleeve will vary from one individual to another. At the same time, the effects can vary at different stages after your surgery. If you have maintained the prescribed diet and fitness regimen, you can expect a vastly improved quality of life 4 years after gastric sleeve. You would have most likely lost the required amount of weight and managed to keep it off.
If you are suffering from obesity-related health problems, such as hypertension, sleep apnea, or diabetes, the symptoms would have reduced and you would feel much healthier. You may be able to get off the prescription meds or other treatments and your annual medical costs may significant reduce. Within 4 years after gastric sleeve, you may overcome all the hurdles in your weight loss journey and take charge of your own life.
5 years after gastric sleeve
Researchers have collected large amounts of patient data over the years to study the long term effects of gastric sleeve surgery. Studies show that most patients will be able to keep the excess weight off 5 years after gastric sleeve. One such research study was published in the Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases journal. The results of the study are described below.
BMI Reduction at 5 Years
Patients who received laparoscopic gastric sleeve surgery lost an average BMI (body mass index) of 57.4 percent at 5 years after gastric sleeve. The authors of this research study noted that over the years an increasing amount of evidence has shown that gastric sleeve surgery is an effective procedure to achieve sustainable weight loss.
Improvement in Co-morbidities
This retrospective study of the 5-year outcomes of people who underwent gastric sleeve surgery showed significant improvement in obesity related medical conditions. Researchers found that most of the patients who suffered from type 2 diabetes experienced disease remission within 5 years after gastric sleeve surgery.
Gastric sleeve 10 years later
In a majority of cases, patients can expect to enjoy the maximum benefits of gastric sleeve 10 years later. Although your age and health parameters will impact your actual outcome over time, you should be able to maintain at least 50 percent or more of your weight loss at this stage.
Long term effects of gastric sleeve are almost always going to be in proportion to how diligently you follow your recommended diet and exercise plan. With adherence to a healthy and active lifestyle, your results 10 years after gastric sleeve could be as follows:
- You would have either attained your ideal body weight or at least eliminated obesity, even if you are slightly overweight.
- Your energy levels, mobility and enthusiasm would be higher than what it was prior to your surgery.
- The surgery would have resolved or improved your obesity related conditions, such as heart disease, diabetes, and sleep apnea.
- Your productivity and performance at work would be better than what it was pre-surgery.
- You would be better off health-wise, emotionally, and possibly even financially with gastric sleeve 10 years later.
Enjoy long term weight loss success with gastric sleeve surgery by Jet Medical Tourism
At Jet Medical Tourism®, we are committed to helping create an obesity-free planet. As part of this mission, we are helping women and men achieve their weight loss goals through safe and affordable gastric sleeve surgery in Mexico. If you are struggling with obesity, it is time to seize the opportunity and discuss your options with our bariatric surgeons.
Our trusted weight loss surgeons in Mexico can help you achieve gastric sleeve long term success. We will arrange your free virtual consultation with the surgeon to help you understand the transformative long term effects of gastric sleeve.
Are you ready to start your weight loss journey?
Jet Medical Tourism® is here to help you. Since 2017, we have helped patients from all around the world achieve their weight loss goals successfully. Apply Now or get in touch with us today by calling (855) 506-6188 or the contact form.